Thursday, October 8, 2009

Boy's Night Out!






I just wanted to share a story about my hubby, AJ! He has been such a good new daddy, and a rock for me as well. Last week, when I was in the hospital, AJ was in the NICU constantly. He knows the ins and outs of the NICU and is a favorite with all of the nurses. I was the one that read all of the books and he is the one that quickly became the hands on expert. It has been unbelievable to watch the changes in him, and I couldn't be more proud. One night last week, he came running into my room and was about to jump out of his skin, so excited that he got "peed on". In response to this I of course said, "What are you talking about?" He had evidently changed his first wet diaper and forgotten to point "it" down. He was thrilled to be covered in baby urine. He has been like that with EVERYTHING! He was so happy to change his first poopy diaper, to take a temperature, to weigh the diapers, to measure Michael's little waist. AJ has started to call Michael his "main man Mike!"






On Monday, AJ started back to work and he had a rough day. He was used to spending every possible waking minute next to our little man and now he has a few short hours with Michael at the end of the day. AJ has been trying to get to the hospital at 7:30 for bath time, but that is a rush. Well, he has started referring to his alone time with Michael, "boy's night out!" And we have all laughed at how the meaning of that phrase has changed. Last night when I got to the NICU to have my late shift cuddle time, I saw something that melted my heart. My big, tough, husband and my little tiny Michael were both sound asleep in a rocker. The nurse stopped me on the way in and told me to have my camera ready when I walked into our room. It was a moment that I will never forget. It is amazing the feelings that are developing not only for our son, but for Aj and I as well. I always knew that Aj would be a great dad, but to have a front row seat to watch him become a parent is really an honor. So to this I say, "Keep it up Daddy, you are doing a great job!"

4 comments:

  1. Oh jeeze... you're making me cry at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how much a baby changes people, especially the daddys. i am glad he is such a good support for you and Michael. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. Thanks for the updates.
    Staci Manter

    ReplyDelete
  3. How precious! I think when the tough guys become softies it really melts everyone's hearts! I bet it has been rough on AJ starting back to work, but his "boys night out" time at the end of the day will be all that more precious. I am so happy to see your family is doing well. Keep us updated on your blog! As always, our prayers are with your family!
    Alisha Ulrich

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yet.....another way our men are alike. (: Let A.J know that Kevin, to this day, still talks about measuring the projectile POOP that Clay had....I can't remember how far (3 ft. maybe)but of course he does...and so does Clay. It happened soon after Clay had been readmitted for the dangerously high bilirubin count...I was freaked out and somehow Kev kept it together to measure the projectile poop. God I love my husband....seriously, I do. (:

    ReplyDelete