Saturday, October 10, 2009

I want a "WiFi" baby!!!!


At this point in technology, just about anything you want can be done without wires and cords, but not in the NICU. Michael is hooked up to all sorts of monitors. On Thursday, we even had two new wires for a system that the hospital is just trying out, and we were asked to help in the research. (Unfortunately, they had the same result as they have gotten before, inaccurate data) But this monitor included a strip that went across his forehead, which is only about two inches wide and a three inch strip across his lower belly, those were HUGE on him. Luckily, that was just a twenty four hour study, so he didn't have to deal with them for long. In order for AJ or me to hold Michael we need to have the nurse come and get all of these wires in order and position him in our arms. Then, without Michael moving, without us shifting all around, with out explanation, by the time that the nurse picks him up and places him back in his crib he is a miss so tangled up that he makes home stereo wires look organized. The most amazing thing is that Michael really doesn't seem to mind them. Well, I can't honestly say that... Thursday night I went in to the hospital about 10 minutes after AJ had left, I walked into his room and all hell was breaking loose. Michael had pulled his cannula out of his nose so his oxygen was going onto his cheek, he pulled his feeding tube out, his legs were out kicking and his little fingers were reaching for anything that they could get a hold of, and he was ANGRY! They tell us that preemies like to be "balled back up" if they are in a stressful state, so basically you take the feet in one hand and arms in another and hold them close to his little belly. So, that is exactly what I did, with little success. Then our nurse came running in with a tiny green pacifier and when popped into his little mouth, it was like an off button. He was soothed and almost asleep in just a few short minutes. When I asked the nurse what had happened she said that "he wanted his pacifier and it had fallen on the floor" so she had to go get a clean one.


The point of all this is that right now, Michael needs monitored so closely. He needs to have these probes stuck all over his body. But someday soon I hope to have a wireless baby, one that I can get in and out of his crib without the assistance of a nurse. One that I can dress and snuggle without the fear of accidentally shifting a wire the wrong way, without worrying about keeping his IV arm out straight. Michael already has gotten rid of some tubes and wires, like the oxygen and the C-Pap, but there are many to go.



But the good news this week is that we are on top of the infection that he had, and he is able to feed again!!! This is a huge step in the right direction! Hopefully, during the next few days he will start putting on some weight. He needs to get some meat on his bones. He is also off the oxygen for the second time and his digestive system is working again. He is much more alert and has the energy to throw a few temper tantrums...which is a sure sign of health. So from the Jones house I say enjoy the weekend, I know I will, AJ and I are going to have some much needed time together. I will catch up with you all on Monday!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear he is doing better jen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni...I heard about your pregnancy from Kade (you're one of his Facebook friends). I looked at your blog and was surprised to hear that you had delivered already. I am so sorry for the loss of Levi. The pictures of Michael are awesome. He looks so strong. Please know that all of you, especially Michael, will be in our prayers daily as Michael grows and makes progress one day at a time. You are blessed to have such a little miracle.

    Marilyn Hardley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs to the Jones family! Tom and I think about you guys a lot and continue to pray for your family. Can't wait until he gets home so we can come over and play dress up!--Cindi Fuja--

    ReplyDelete