In related news, I think that as a direct result of the progress that I mentioned above, I am also thrilled to announce that when I arrived at the hospital yesterday morning, my son, Micheal, was in a crib! No more hanging out in the big incubator, we are too big for that! It was so cool to walk into the room and see him looking more like a "normal baby"! The incubator's are just so scary looking, they just make it seem like the baby is so fragile in that clear acrylic box. Michael was dressed in one of his own outfits, a blanket and a tiny hat, when I arrived, and was snoozing in the room temperature air. Michael also is down to only two cords that tie him down, one is the feeding tube, the other is a monitor that watches is heart rate and respirations. So when we want to pick him up and hold him, it isn't nearly as big of a production. You can now see why it's taken me so long to write, I was just too busy trying to keep up with all of the new developments! He is awesome! I am so proud of every step that he makes. I know that we are still in for a long ride, but when he makes progress it just re-instills to me that it won't be like this for long. I am trying to remember to just exhale and watch this little person grow, change and start to have his own little personality. He is more alert every single day; sometimes he will just lay back and take in his surroundings. At times his eyes are so big and alert, I am sure that he is making tiny mental notes about the world around him. He is also starting to recognize our voices and he seems to look for us when we enter the room. I am enjoying getting to know him and I am excited to see who he is going to grow to be. In the midst of all of the emotional and hormonal peaks and valleys I am going through, all that I need to do is just look at Michael and I start to feel centered again. He is like a drug to me, he is what makes me feel better!
Monday, October 19, 2009
"We have a Code Brown!!!"
Last week was a pretty big week for Michael! You see, since we have been in the NICU, he has needed a little assistance getting milk down and out. He just hasn't been able to "Go!" Now we all know that on the road to recovery, sometimes you just gotta poop. Everyday the doctor would tell me, "we upped his feedings, but his belly is still distended, we need him to start working food out on his own." I was really starting to be discouraged; it was tough hearing the same thing every morning, especially when there was nothing that I could do to help that along. So, I am proud to announce that when I called to check on Michael in the wee hours of Saturday morning, we received excellent news...."He POOPED!" And since that momentous occasion, he has gone quite frequently!!! I never thought that I would be a person that would get excited about such things, but I am a changed woman. I just really feel that Michael is going to grow and gain weight so much better now. He already has gained some weight... as of last night he weighed 4lbs 5oz. I would like to commend my little man as he continues to make strides in the right direction. Also, I would like to add that I do realize that this is going to be an awkward entry for Michael to hear about someday... I am embarrassing him already, so "mums the word"!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One word: "YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!"
ReplyDeleteSome day you can read Micheal, Everyone POOPS! when he is potty training. I love that book. Great news! I've been looking for a post every day so I was thrilled to do a check and see such BIG news. Thinking of you all.
ReplyDeleteFondly,
Claudia
What a fantastic week! Wow, a crib and only 2 cords!! He really is becoming quite the big boy!
ReplyDeleteYippeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Thats great new, GO JOB MICHAEL!!! And Im so happy to hear that he is making leaps and bounds and gaining and eating. We think about you guys daily and say prayers each night. Hang in there!!
ReplyDeleteAs I told jessica before liam was born, the single most frequent topic of discussion between yourself and your husband at the dinner table will be.........the consistency, frequency, and color of your baby's poop. no kidding. turns out to be........interesting????????.........and IMPORTANT! What we parents are reduced to. And you won't mind. Jacque
ReplyDelete